What does Data Backup Software do?
Data Backup software such as MiniTool ShadowMaker allows you to make backups of your files, databases, and hard drives in order to avoid losing data. When hardware failure or data loss occurs, this application recovers the original contents.
You’ll have to recover from a tragedy at some sort. You’ll lose important data or the computer will refuse to boot if an old hard drive fails. If you have a backup image or copy of the corrupted or damaged source disc, recovering your data to a new drive would be much simpler.
These kind of applications for cloning hard drives are more efficient than others. Although some will copy your operating system bit by bit, others will produce an ISO image of your entire system. Others have been Windows-specific, and some are unconcerned with the operating system you’re using. At the end of the day, the most important thing is that you use the tool that best fits your abilities and requirements.
Retail hard disc imaging software, such as Acronis Backup and Restore, Macrium Reflect, EaseUS Todo Backup, O&O DiskImage etc. is typically not in everyone’s budget. Well, we have covered you in this article with a free and simple backup tool – MiniTool ShadowMaker!
What is MiniTool ShadowMaker?
MiniTool ShadowMaker is a system backup and data protection software that supports the Windows operating system, files & folders, disc, and partitions with ease. Furthermore, disc cloning and sync files are supported. In addition, it can help you to individualise the backup schedule and manage disc space in backup files.
About MiniTool ShadowMaker
- Free Edition
- Pro Monthly Subscription (Monthly Usage)
- Pro Annual Subscription (Yearly Usage)
- Pro Ultimate (Lifetime Usage)
Supports: Windows 7/8/10
- Processor Pentium 1 GHz
- 1GB RAM for 32-bit OS
- 2GB RAM for 64-bit OS
- 1.5 GB free disk space
Supported File Systems:
Supported Storage Media:
- USB External Disks
- Hardware RAID
- Network Attached Storage (NAS)
- Home File Server
Setup and Interface
The ShadowMaker interface is built in the style of Windows 10. In terms of functionality, the tabbed menu is the most common for step-by-step tasks, and it’s extremely logical and simple.
Backing up with MiniTool ShadowMaker
When configuring the backup, the software gives you the option of doing a full device (or partition) image backup or a file and folder level backup. Once the essential files have been chosen for backup, we will see the backup set ready for action on the main Backup menu bar. We can access a few more advanced settings for our new backup set by clicking the Options button.
Options that are beneficial
- Basic compression and encryption options are available for customization as per user needs
- The freedom to backup only used parts, which saves time and space, as well as the option to split one image into several files for storage on flash drives, DVDs, and other media.
- Backup Schedule, Set up automatic file backups with the best backup software on a regular basis.
- Safe System Restore, when necessary, restore the device to a previous state from an external drive using a backup that is both free and reliable.
- You can use the command line interface, handle email updates and reminders, password-protect images, clone images, and report logs etc.
- WinPE Bootable Media Builder – To restore the OS to its previous state, create bootable media (CD/DVD disc, USB flash drive, or USB hard drive).
- File Sync – To keep files stored in two places the same and accessible, automatically sync files, directories, or the open files & folders.
- Files/System/Disk Backup Free – In the event of an emergency, quickly backup open files and directories, the framework, hard drives, and NTFS partitions with a 2 MB cluster size.
- Disk Cloning, Manage Remote Computer, Encrypt Backup Images, and Add Boot Menu are some of the other features of MiniTool ShadowMaker.
- The user interface is simple, appealing, and logical.
- A free edition with the most essential features is available.
- Fast, Simple image backup tool.
- The proprietary images were quickly and easily mounted and dismounted.
- MiniTool offers email and live chat assistance 24/7.
- Available in English, German and Japanese.
To be improved:
- More language support
- Can’t back up to the cloud yet!
- Does not support backup of MS SQL databases.
- At the moment, the software can only clone/backup EXT4 drives on a sector-by-sector level, – not the ext4 Linux file system.
The Final Opinion
ShadowMaker is an extremely capable and well-rendered imaging application. It works quicker and simple, and yes it’s not completely free but it’s well worth for the pro version. MiniTool ShadowMaker is a genuinely valuable free backup method for those looking for a straightforward backup and recovery approach – Being said that, I genuinely think MiniTool did a pretty good job of retaining enough essential features in the freemium version.